Bandwagoning

To an extent I suppose you could look at my new year's resolution to lose weight as a little bit cliche or on the bandwagon, but technically I have been trying to lose weight since Dax was born and the new resolve came because of one of my harp students.

I don't remember how we got on the subject of weight lose but we spent too much of one lesson on it. We decided we would push each other to reach our goals and have a prize at the end. This harp student is well in her 30s so don't think I'm making this goal with a 14 year old... that would probably be out of place for me to do.

So we weighed in on my scale and came up with realistic, healthy weight loss goals for ourselves. So far we are both doing great.

In college I joined weight watchers for a semester and lost 30 pounds. It was a really effective way, but I didn't stick to it when I stopped going. Although I only put a little bit back on, I hadn't reached my ultimate goal when I stopped and then I got married and  immediately got pregnant. I was so sick my first trimester I ate what would stay down... Which wasn't much and it changed every couple of days. Not the most healthy diet, that's for sure but I guess that is fairly normal for a first trimester.

After Luke was born I found myself struggling to get back into good eating habits. I stayed a little more than I was after going on weight watchers until 10 months later when I got pregnant with Dax. Repeat the poor eating but probably multiply it by 2 because we were living with my in laws and didn't have a kitchen of our own. Poor Tyler.

Needless to say, I have had a little weight I have wanted to lose since Dax was born. I'm happy to say I am back to my pre-Dax weight and almost back to my end of weight watchers number. Once I reach that number I will hope to lose 10-20 more pounds to my ultimate healthy weight goal. I don't really know what it will be because I want to be in good shape, toned, strong and able to endure (such as running more than a 5k which I did once and intend to do again). When I get to the point where I can do all those things and feel good and level out then I think I will start a maintenance plan.

Since I started I have lost 6 pounds. It has now been a month and I read that it is safe to lose a pound a week while nursing, without losing my milk. I have lost more than a pound a week and I have not lost my milk! I have to make sure to drink a lot of water a day and eat enough calories.

In order to make sure that I do get enough calories to continue producing enough milk for Dax, I downloaded a calorie counting app for my phone. I chose the my fitness pal app because it is free and has an extensive number of foods to choose from and an option to add 500 calories for breastfeeding. I get 1400 calories a day before you add in the breastfeeding allowance but I only need 1200. So I figure 1200 to lose weight and 1400 to maintain? really those numbers are 1700 and 1900 once I add in the 500 calorie allowance. Once I stop breastfeeding I think I will have to cut back quite a bit to maintain, but I will work it out.

It is nice to take advantage of my body's extra fat burning tendencies while I'm nursing. I'm not sure I would have lost more than a pound a week if it weren't for that factor.

So there you have it folks; my new year's resolution. I'm already feeling skinnier and it is an awesome feeling. It doesn't help that I love to bake and make tasty things. I have been a very giving neighbor lately. I hope I'm not ruining my neighbors' new year's resolutions... But it is fun to give treats and it helps me not eat them all.

P.S. The blueberry muffins I made this morning are still sitting there taunting me with their yumminess but I have not given in. I think I deserve a pat on the back. :-)

Comments

Good job, Bre! YAY! I'm so proud of you! :) And P.S. You can share your yummy treats and muffins with me any day. . . just send them in the mail, I guess. hahaha! See you soon, my dear!